I attended this course the last time it was offered and it was excellent. I highly recommend it!
Seats are still available to attend the
POLLINATOR CONSERVATION PLANNING SHORT COURSE
Pittstown, New Jersey
April 27th, 2012
9:00 am to 4:00 pm EDT
The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation, Rutgers University, and the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) are pleased to announce an upcoming Pollinator Conservation Planning Short Course in New Jersey. This full day training will provide you with the latest science-based approaches to reversing the trend of pollinator declines, and will equip you with the recipes necessary to protect and manage habitat for these vital insects.
SPECIFIC TRAINING OBJECTIVES:
- Identify approaches to increase and enhance pollinator diversity on the land
- Knowledge of current best management practices that minimize land-use impacts on pollinators
- Identify bees and distinguish them from other insects
- Understand the economics of insect-pollinated crops, and the effects of pollinator decline
- Knowledge of the current Farm Bill pollinator conservation provisions in programs such as WHIP, EQIP, CSP, and CRP
- Ability to assess pollinator habitat and to identify habitat deficiencies
- Ability to make recommendations to farmers and land managers that conserve pollinators (including subjects such as tillage, pesticide use, burning, grazing, and cover cropping)
- Ability to design and implement habitat improvements, such as native plant restoration and nest site enhancements
SHORT COURSE DETAILS:
Snyder Research & Extension Farm
140 Locust Grove Road
Pittstown, NJ 08867
April 27th, 2012 9 am to 4 pm EDT
Thanks to Dr. Rachael Winfree and USDA-NRCS for making this course affordable to the public.
Registration is $45 per person and includes lunch and refreshments.
Registration is required for this course. Click here for more information and to register online. For questions, please contact Ashley Minnerath, Pollinator Program Assistant, The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (855) 232-6639 ext. 102.
For NRCS personnel registration, please contact:
Pollinator Habitat Restoration Specialist
Hurry, space is limited!
This Pollinator Conservation Planning Short Course is made possible with the support of a USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service’s Conservation Innovation Grant (CIG) awarded to Dr. Rachael Winfree of Rutgers University. Additional support for this training is provided by the following: USDA Northeast Sustainable Agricultural Research and Education (SARE) program, CS Fund, Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund, Sarah K. de Coizart Article TENTH Perpetual Charitable Trust, Turner Foundation, Whole Systems Foundation, and Xerces Society members.
Special thanks to Cape-Atlantic Conservation District, North Jersey Resource & Development, New Jersey NRCS, Rutgers University, and USDA-NRCS Cape May Plant Materials Center for helping to make this course possible.